Bureau of Investigation - Military Equipment
Assembly Bill (AB) 481
Effective January 1, 2022, Assembly Bill (AB) 481 requires law enforcement agencies to obtain approval of the applicable governing body (Board of Supervisors), by adoption of a military equipment use policy, prior to taking certain actions relating to the funding, acquisition, or use of military equipment.
Pursuant to AB 481, the San Diego District Attorney’s Bureau of Investigation will publish an annual report to include each type of military equipment approved by the San Diego County Board of Supervisors for as long as the military equipment is available for use. The annual military equipment report shall, at a minimum, include the following information for the immediately preceding calendar year for each type of military equipment:
- A summary of how the military equipment was used and the purpose of its use.
- A summary of any complaints or concerns received concerning the military equipment.
- The results of any internal audits, any information about violations of the military equipment use policy, and any actions taken in response.
- The total annual cost for each type of military equipment, including acquisition, personnel, training, transportation, maintenance, storage, upgrade, and other ongoing costs, and from what source funds will be provided for the military equipment in the calendar year following submission of the annual military equipment report.
- The quantity possessed for each type of military equipment.
- If the law enforcement agency intends to acquire additional military equipment in the next year, the quantity sought for each type of military equipment.
Military Equipment Use Policy
Pending Board of Supervisor Approval
- Nothing pending.
Upcoming Public Meetings:
Community Engagement Meeting: Annual Military Equipment Report (Assembly Bill 481)