Assisted Living Facility (ALF) Unit – Facility Elder Abuse

Our Mission

Group photo of ALF unit

Our team of prosecutors, investigators and paralegals is here to investigate and prosecute crimes committed against residents of various types of facilities. We also aim to raise public awareness of these deplorable crimes against the especially vulnerable. In addition, we educate the community on reporting and preventing this abuse.

The Importance of Reporting Abuse

Abuse often escalates if there is no intervention. Victims live in silent desperation, unwilling to seek assistance because they think no one will believe them, they fear retaliation from their abusers, and/or they are too embarrassed to admit that they have fallen victim to predators. A courageous friend or family member is often their only hope for relief.

Warning Signs of Elder Abuse in Facilities

Abuse may be physical, mental, sexual, and/or financial or consist of neglect. Please click on this link for more information: Potential Warning Signs of Abuse

Reporting Abuse in Licensed Nursing, Residential, and Board & Care Facilities

  • If a situation appears life threatening or a crime is in progress, call 9-1-1 or your local law enforcement.
  • Otherwise, to report suspected abuse in facilities, call the San Diego District Attorney Facility Elder Abuse reporting line: 619-531-3342
  • You may also report suspected abuse in facilities to the CA Attorney General’s Bureau of Medi-Cal Fraud and Elder Abuse toll-free hotline: 800-722-0432 or report complaints online at
  • Additional resources for reporting facility elder abuse:
    Adult Protective Services (APS)
    APS, a division of the County's Aging & Independence Services, accepts reports of suspected abuse of elders/dependent adults in facilities as long as the alleged abuser is a non-resident and a non-employee.

    Call 800-339-4661(in San Diego County) or 800-339-4661 (outside the County).
    Community Care Licensing (CCL)
    To report a complaint against any nonmedical licensed care facility, you may call the CA Dept. of Social Services CCL hotline at 844-538-8766 (844-LET-US-NO).
    Department of Public Health
    Facilities that provide medical care and supervision, such as skilled nursing facilities, are licensed by the CA Dept. of Public Health. Report complaints online at or by phone:

    San Diego North District Office: 619-278-3700 or toll free: 800-824-0613
    counties served: (Parts of) Imperial, San Diego North County

    San Diego South District Office: 619-688-6190 or toll free: 866-706-0759
    counties served: Imperial, San Diego (cities south of Interstate 8)
    Long-Term Care Ombudsman Office
    The Long-Term Care Ombudsman Office is a division of the County’s Health & Human Services Agency. Ombudsmen advocate for people who live in residential care and skilled nursing facilities.

    Call Toll Free: 800-640-4661      Or Call: 858-560-2507

    Please click on this link for more information: Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program

Facility Residents’ Bill of Rights

Federal and state laws protect the rights of those in residential care and skilled nursing facilities. Residents have the right to be treated with dignity, to be unrestrained, to communicate with anyone they choose, to manage their own affairs (if able), to confidentiality of records, and to apply for government assistance. By law, residents must be fully informed of rights, services, and fees charged PRIOR to admission.

Selecting a Long-Term Care Facility

Use the California Nursing Home Search web site. This web site offers guidance and tools to evaluate nursing facilities. It uses federal and state records to create a star rating system based on staffing, quality of facility, quality of care and costs.

Use the California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform web site to find a California nursing home that best suits your family member's needs. The web site is searchable by city, county or facility at Nursing Home Guide or call 800-474-1116.

To look at records of violations at San Diego County facilities, click on:

Use the Consumer Advocates for RCFE Reform website to search for residential care facilities for the elderly (RCFEs), also known as assisted living facilities, located in San Diego County. Facilities can be located by facility name, zip code, or city. Additionally, CARR’s site offers online access to public documents such as inspection and complaint reports to help you make an informed assisted living placement decision.

Advice on Finding the Right Assisted Living Facility

Useful Links/Additional Resources