George "Woody" Clarke Conviction Review Unit
The prosecutor’s role in the criminal justice system is to vigorously and ethically prosecute those who violate the law and to protect the innocent. To that end, prosecutors have a duty to seek the truth before, during, and after conviction.
Continuing the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office tradition of assuring post-conviction justice, the Conviction Review Unit examines post-conviction claims of innocence where credible and verifiable evidence of innocence exists or new technologies exist to test or retest remaining evidence.
The Conviction Review Unit is committed to the highest standard of professional integrity, expeditious and thorough review of post-conviction cases, prevention of wrongful convictions, and working collaboratively with all criminal justice partners, including those who seek the exoneration of the wrongfully convicted.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Letter from a Birmingham Jail
In order for the Conviction Review Unit to conduct a preliminary review of a conviction, defendants making a claim of innocence must meet the following prerequisites:
- The conviction must have occurred in San Diego County Superior Court;
- Applicant must still be in custody, serving time on the sentence for which he/she was convicted;
- The conviction must be for a violent and/or serious felony as defined by Penal Code sections 667.5 (c) and 1192.7 (c) (1)-(42) (e.g. murder, rape, robbery, etc.).
- The application for review must be based on credible and verifiable evidence of innocence; and
- Applicant agrees to fully cooperate with the District Attorney’s Office, which includes providing disclosure of all relevant information during the review process.
The Conviction Review Unit will not consider requests for resentencing.
Applicants or their representative must complete the form below in order to make a conviction review request (you may use additional pages if needed):
You may alternatively use this fillable PDF, save it to your pc and and send it as an attachment in an email.
Conviction Review Unit
Fax (619) 531-3428